AREC - Advanced Remote Emergency Care
Accreditations & Endorsements
Non Member: $1300
Upcoming Course with Vacancies
About this Course
- Are you expected to be a competent and current practitioner with advanced emergency skills and knowledge?
- Do you have the ability to lead your team taking on a senior position?
- Are you expected to be a competent Advanced Life Support provider?
The CRANAplus Advanced Remote Emergency (AREC) Care course aims to extend the competencies of the experienced remote and isolated health practitioner to an advanced level beyond that of the Remote Emergency Care course. It has a focus on team leadership, critical thinking and communication in emergency situations.
Who is this course for?
The CRANAplus AREC Course is designed to meet the learning needs of the experienced rural, remote and isolated health practitioner especially Nurses and remote GP’s who are involved in the immediate care of the critically ill or injured person and are required to provide advanced emergency skills, critical thinking, advanced communication skills and team leadership
- Successful completion of a CRANAplus Remote Emergency Care Course (REC) or equivalent emergency care course within the last 2 years and/or;
- Recent and relevant acute clinical experience within the last 2 years and/or
- Relevant postgraduate qualifications in emergency or critical care
- Current Basic Life Support certificate
Please note: Our ALS program no longer includes Basic Life Support (BLS) and you will need to confirm your annual BLS currency when enrolling in this course. If you have not done BLS within 12 months prior to your ALS, the CRANAplus BLS course is available online. Please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries regarding this change to our practice.
If you have any queries about the course or its relevance to your practice, please contact the Clinical Educator Team.
The CRANAplus Advanced Remote Emergency Care course consists of the following components:
- Online pre-course learning and assessments that must be completed one week before the course
- Advanced Life Support online theory modules and assessment - approx. 8 hours of study
- Advanced Remote Emergency Care online theory reading, learning activities - approx. 30 hours of study
- Attendance at a three day face to face workshop consisting of lectures, skill stations and practical based scenarios
- A pre-course and on-course multiple-choice quiz
- Two individual scenario based clinical skills assessments (Advanced Life Support and Trauma Management)
If you are seeking RACGP continuing professional development points you must also, in addition to the above, complete and submit a reinforcing activity.
Graduates of this course will be able to:
- Demonstrate the application of the Australian Resuscitation Council algorithm/s in case scenarios and the final individual assessment
- Demonstrate a comprehensive, systematic approach using the primary, secondary survey to deliver emergency care to the critically ill adult and child.
- Identify early physiological deterioration and understand the use of appropriate treatment options in a timely manner
- Analyse and discuss treatment options, including the escalation or de-escalation of management choices in the trauma patient
- Demonstrate effective team leadership during the management of an emergency presentation
- Demonstrate effective and accurate clinical documentation and handover
On successful completion participants will be awarded;
- A CRANAplus Advanced Remote Emergency Care Certificate (Valid for 2 years)
- A CRANAplus Advanced Life Support Certificate (Valid for 2 years)
I know I was asked a number of times if the level was too basic. The content was excellent. Often the hardest skills to learn are teamwork and leadership and these can only be practiced on courses such as these. Great course, great venue. Job well done.
Cairns, QLD 2015 from a GP Anaesthetist