MID - Midwifery Upskilling
Non Member: $1100
Upcoming Course with Vacancies
About this Course
- Are you often working alone or in isolation in your midwifery practice?
- Would you be confident in managing a midwifery emergency?
- Do you need to an update on current evidence-based practice?
The Midwifery UpSkilling Course (MIDUS) aims to provide an overview of current practice in antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care, including discussion of complications in pregnancy and birth, and the emergency management of a pregnant woman and her baby, with an emphasis on care in the remote and isolated setting.
CRANAplus encourages candidates to apply the Midwifery Upskilling knowledge and skills learnt within the context of the policies of the employing health service.
Who is this course for?
The course is designed to meet the learning needs of the maternity health workforce (Midwives and Medical Officers) who may be required to provide maternity care in remote and/or isolated areas.
Please note; if you are not a midwife or a GP with relevant obstetric experience you are not eligible for this course – please consider the Maternity Emergency Care Course as this may be more relevant for you.
If you have any queries about the course or its relevance to your practice, please contact the Clinical Educator Team.
The CRANAplus Midwifery UpSkilling course consists of the following:
- Pre-course learning and activities that must be completed one week before the course
- Midwifery UpSkillling reading and learning activities – approx. 7 hours of study that must be completed before the course
- Attendance at a two and a half day workshop consisting of lectures, skill stations and practical based scenarios.
- An on-course multiple choice quiz
- An individual scenario based clinical skills assessment
Graduates of this course will be able to:
- Incorporate the principles of Cultural Safety in maternity care.
- Demonstrate the principles of ante & postnatal care provision within a remote or isolated setting.
- Demonstrate the principles of managing complications in pregnancy, labour and immediately following childbirth including:
- Preterm labour
- Bleeding in pregnancy
- Hypertension in pregnancy
- Pre-eclampsia / eclampsia
- Cord prolapse
- Breech birth
- Shoulder dystocia
- Neonatal resuscitation
- Events requiring maternal resuscitation
- Postpartum haemorrhage
- Retained placenta
- Perinatal Mental Health issues
On successful completion participants will be awarded:
- A CRANAplus Midwifery Upskilling Certificate (Valid for 2 years)
Probably the best course I have done in a long time. The team were excellent, skilful, informative, kind & friendly. Very supportive to the entire group. I feel like I have gained some wonderful knowledge & confidence. Thanks!
Port Macquarie, NSW 2016