PEC - Paediatric Emergency Care
Accreditations & Endorsements
Non Member: $1100
Upcoming Course with Vacancies
About this Course
- Do you experience anxiety with paediatric presentations?
- Do you want to improve the emergency management of infants and children in remote or isolated practice settings?
- Are you expected to be a competent Paediatric Life Support provider?
The CRANAplus Paediatric Emergency Care (PEC) Course is an interactive, practical course that covers aspects of the emergency management of children in the remote and isolated setting. The course aims to increase confidence with paediatric presentations and focuses on team leadership, communication and critical thinking in paediatric emergency situations. It is based on best practice principles and Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines providing the health workforce with:
- Core paediatric emergency skills required in management of the critically and/or injured child in the remote and isolated setting
- Core basic and advanced life support skills required for the management of paediatric cardio-respiratory arrest.
CRANAplus encourages candidates to apply the Paediatric Emergency Care knowledge and skills learnt within the context of the policies of the employing health service.
Who is this course for?
The course is designed to meet the learning needs of the remote, rural and isolated health workforce (Nurses and Midwives, Intensive Care Paramedics and Medical Officers) who may be required to provide urgent or emergency care to children. This course is at an advanced level. If you have any queries about the course or its relevance to your practice, please contact the Clinical Educator Team.
The CRANAplus PEC course consists of the following components:
- Online pre-course learning and assessments that must be completed one week before the course
- Attendance at a two day workshop consisting of lectures, skill stations and practical based scenarios
- An on-course documentation assessment
- An individual scenario based clinical skills assessment
Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive and systematic approach to the assessment and management of the critically sick and/or injured infant and child
- Incorporate paediatric basic and advanced life support skills and knowledge in the management of cardio-respiratory arrest including post resuscitation care
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of clinical deterioration and apply this knowledge to the early identification and management of the critically ill and/or injured infant and child
- Describe the legal, ethical and WH&S issues in relation to Paediatric Advanced Life Support
- Demonstrate complex clinical decision-making, effective team leadership and advanced communication skills in the management of cardio-respiratory arrest
- Demonstrate effective and accurate clinical documentation and handover.
- Identify and manage of the critically ill and/or injured infant and child
On successful completion participants will be awarded:
- A CRANAplus Paediatric Emergency Care Certificate (Valid for 2 years)
- A CRANAplus Paediatric Basic Life Support Certificate (Valid for 1 year)
- A CRANAplus Paediatric Advanced Life Support Certificate (Valid for 2 years)
PEC has clarified and increased my confidence to more effectively assess and treat children presenting to our emergency department. The online modules and resources were comprehensive, appropriate and very interesting. Thanks
Dubbo, NSW 2016