This site may not work properly using older versions of Edge and Internet Explorer. You should upgrade your browser to the latest Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, or any other modern browser of your choice. Click here for more information.
Browse through the employment listings below to discover your dream rural or remote health care job
Dentist in Charge
Posted: 15 Nov 2023
Location: Christmas Island
The Indian Ocean Territories Administration (IOTA) is currently seeking a motivated, professional and suitably qualified person to join our team as the Dentist in Charge within the Indian Ocean Territories Health Service (IOTHS) based on Christmas Island.
- Number SC 43/2023
- Ongoing – Full Time
- (Annual salary of $203,244 plus allowances and remote support package)
The IOTHS delivers a primary and acute health care service in two of Australia’s most remote and most spectacular settings — Christmas Island (CI) and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands (CKI). IOTHS includes a 24 hour eight bed hospital and primary care facility on CI and clinics on Home and West Islands in the CKI. The IOTHS is committed to “Working with our communities to keep us healthy for the whole of our lives”.
As the sole dental practitioner (Dentist), you are required to:
- Provide leadership, vision and develop strategies to enable the Oral Health Team to continue to successfully operate within the guidelines of the IOTHS strategic and operational plans and maintain accreditation.
- Provide leadership and operational management of a small team responsible for the effective delivery of operational and strategic dental service functions and projects across the Indian Ocean Territories (IOT).
- Deliver oral health services of a high quality in a culturally appropriate way to the two island communities of Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.
- Facilitate Dental Health Promotions including organising and coordinating the range of functions necessary to support the oral health clinics.
Our ideal applicant will have demonstrated experience and commitment to public health principles as well as experience in achieving accreditation for an oral health service. Candidates must be an effective clinical leader and be able to work collaboratively. Strong negotiating, influencing, communication and interpersonal skills are required to treat patients across a range of cultural groups and demonstrated professional and technical proficiency to operate as a sole practitioner is also essential.
To be considered, candidate must hold a current registration as a Dental Practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), have a minimum of seven (7) years general paediatric and dental experience including previous experience in a rural or remote environment.
Knowledge and experience of using Titanium Patient and Practice Management Software and previous experience working in a remote multicultural environment will be well regarded. Further, the successful applicant will need to hold a current Western Australian Working with Children Check, Senior First Aid Certificate, hold a ‘C’ class manual Driver’s Licence transferable to the Indian Ocean Territories, provide proof of vaccination or immunity as required by IOTHS, be prepared to travel and work on Cocos (Keeling) Islands as required and will be subject to a health assessment.
For an application pack outlining how you can apply for this opportunity, please contact the IOTA Human Resources Team at IOTHRTeam@infrastructure.gov.au and quote position number 109105
Applications close 4pm (Christmas Island local time), Wednesday 6 December 2023