This site may not work properly using older versions of Edge and Internet Explorer. You should upgrade your browser to the latest Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, or any other modern browser of your choice. Click here for more information.
Basic Life Support (BLS)
The CRANAplus BLS program is contextualised to meet the needs of the remote workforce and has been developed to meet the standards for health professionals according to the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) Guidelines.
The BLS program addresses the cardiopulmonary resuscitation of infants, children and adults. The CRANAplus BLS program is designed to provide a flexible learning opportunity.
Who is this course for?
It is ideally suited for all health professionals practicing in remote and isolated context who require BLS skill set. If you are unsure if this course is suitable for you please contact our team to discuss your needs.
There are two components to be completed to receive a CRANAplus Basic Life Support Certificate:
- An online theory module & multiple-choice assessment
- An individual scenario based practical assessment (conducted online by a CRANAplus assessor)
Online Module Outline
- Legal and ethical considerations
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Post resuscitation care
Your practical assessment will be conducted by a CRANAplus Assessor. In exceptional circumstances CRANAplus may appoint an external assessor. This process can only be organised and approved by CRANAplus.
It is your responsibility to organise the required equipment and venue for the practical assessment.
Download a copy of the BLS information sheet including the list of required equipment click here.
On successful completion clinicians will be able to:
- Perform Basic Life Support as per Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines
- Describe the components of the adult BLS algorithm (DRSABCD
- Describe the components of the Paediatric BLS algorithm for Health Professionals per ARC guidelines
- List the steps in using an automated external defibrillator (AED) and safety precautions
- Discuss cessation of BLS
On successful completion participants will be awarded:
- A CRANAplus Basic Life Support (Adult, Child & Infant) certificate (valid for one year)