Indian Ocean Territories Health Service
The Indian Ocean Territories Health Service (IOTHS) services the communities of Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.
As part of the Commonwealth’s Attorney General’s Department, the IOTHS offers a broad range of acute and community based health programs through a Primary Health Care model situated at both locations, with an 8 bed hospital on Christmas Island and two remote clinic settings in the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. Christmas Island is located some 3800 kms from Perth and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands are 900 kms to the west of Christmas Island.
Culturally the two island settings have strong and vibrant links with South East Asia and definitive population groups reflective of history and contemporary aspects of island life. The Christmas Island population reflects a 60% Chinese and a 20% Malay heritage with the remainder caucasian in make-up and Cocos (Keeling) has a well established 80% Coco Malay population with the remaining 20% caucasian. Such a rich heritage is maintained through many diverse aspects such as religion (Muslim, Buddhism, Taoist, Christian), festivals, temples, places of worship, food, friendliness and a welcome extended to newcomers and tourists. In recent times refugees from throughout the Indian Ocean region have been brought to Christmas Island for assessment and care as required. The IOTHS is part of that process and looks to expanding its role as required.
Finally, the islands possess significant beauty, unique flora and fauna, fantastic snorkelling and diving and a lifestyle second to none with ample opportunity to visit southeast Asia and beyond through regular jet air services to and from Malaysia and Singapore. The mainland ‘gateway’ is via Perth and again regular services through the international terminal, ensure access 4 times a week.
Why would you want to be anywhere else?