MEC - Maternity Emergency Care
Non Member: $800
Upcoming Course with Vacancies
About this Course
- Does the sight of a pregnant woman in your clinic make you nervous?
- Would you know what to do if a pregnant woman presented at your clinic/hospital in labour and no midwife was available?
The Maternity Emergency Care (MEC) Course is designed to enable the health workforce to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to provide emergency care for pregnant women and their babies.
CRANAplus encourages participants to apply the knowledge and skills learnt within the context of the policies of the employing health service and within each individual’s own scope of practice.
Who is this course for?
The MEC Course is designed to meet the learning needs of the remote and isolated health workforce (Nurses, non practising Midwives, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Health Workers/Practitioners, Paramedics, and Medical Officers) who may be required to provide emergency maternity care.
Please refer to the Midwifery Upskilling Course if you are a current midwife.
If you have any queries about the course or its relevance to your practice, submit an enquiry here.
The CRANAplus Maternity Emergency Care course consists of the following components.
- Online pre-course learning and assessments that must be completed one week before the course
- Maternity Emergency Care Manual and assessment — approx. 4 hours of study
- Cultural Considerations in Maternity Care readings and assessment — approx. 1 hour of study
- Attendance at a two and a half day workshop consisting of lectures, skill stations and practical based scenarios.
- An on-course multiple-choice quiz
- An individual scenario based clinical skills assessment
If you are seeking RACGP continuing professional development points you must also, in addition to the above, complete and submit a reinforcing activity.
Graduates of this course will be able to:
- Demonstrate the principles of first line emergency management of a woman in labour and immediately following childbirth.
- Identify appropriate responses to the following maternal and neonatal complications:
- Pre-term labour
- Vaginal bleeding in pregnancy
- Maternal trauma
- Birth asphyxia
- Post partum haemorrhage
On successful completion participants will be awarded:
- A CRANAplus Maternity Emergency Care Certificate (Valid for 3 years)
Could not fault the course. Your speakers are amazingly talented, approachable, caring, extremely knowledgeable. Your work is outstanding and thanks for sharing your stories. I am confident now in an area which terrifies me (prior to MEC) & I am sure you have given me the courage and knowledge to one day save a mum & bub! Thank you CRANA!
Darwin course, NT 2016