MEC - Maternity Emergency Care
Upcoming Courses with Vacancies
About this Course
- Does the sight of a pregnant woman in your clinic make you nervous?
- Would you know what to do if a pregnant woman presented at your clinic/hospital in labour and no midwife was available?
The Maternity Emergency Care (MEC) course is designed to enable the health workforce to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to provide emergency care for pregnant, birthing and immediately postnatal women, and their babies.
CRANAplus encourages participants to apply the knowledge and skills learnt within the context of the policies of the employing health service and within each individual’s own scope of practice.
Who is this course for?
The MEC course is designed to meet the learning needs of the remote and isolated health workforce (Nurses, non practising Midwives, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Health Workers/Practitioners, Paramedics, and Medical Officers) who may be required to provide emergency maternity care.
Please refer to the Midwifery Upskilling course if you are a current midwife or GP Obstetrician.
If you have any queries about the course or its relevance to your practice, submit an enquiry here.
The CRANAplus Maternity Emergency Care course consists of the following components.
- Online pre-course learning and assessments that must be completed one week before the course
- Maternity Emergency Care Manual and assessment — approx. 4 hours of study
- Cultural Considerations in Maternity Care readings and assessment — approx. 1 hour of study
- Attendance at a two and a half day workshop consisting of lectures, skill stations and practical based scenarios.
- An on-course multiple-choice quiz
- Two individual scenario based clinical skills assessments
On successful completion of this course, clinicians will be able to:
- Demonstrate the principles of unplanned or emergency management of a pregnant & labouring woman and care immediately after childbirth.
- Assess and manage to the following maternal and neonatal complications:
- Pre-term labour
- Bleeding in pregnancy
- Maternal trauma, deterioration and resuscitation
- Neonatal Resuscitation
- Post partum haemorrhage
Family Violence and Perinatal Mental Health are also discussed
On successful completion participants will be awarded:
- A CRANAplus Maternity Emergency Care Certificate (Valid for 3 years)
“Thankyou, you have given me a good basis in managing birth in the non-birthing site where I work.
I will be highly recommending this course to my colleagues. Well worth it and great experience! Thankyou for an inspiring & educational weekend?
MEC Course Participant | Albany, WA | June 2019