This site may not work properly using older versions of Edge and Internet Explorer. You should upgrade your browser to the latest Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, or any other modern browser of your choice. Click here for more information.
Basic Life Support
The BLS program addresses CPR resuscitation of infants, children and adults. It is suited for all health professionals practicing in a remote and isolated context.
- About this course
- Are you part of a health team that requires Basic Life Support (BLS) skills?
- Would you know how to save a life when there is no breathing or response present?
- Is BLS part of your organisations annual core competence requirement?
The BLS program addresses CPR resuscitation of infants, children and adults. It is suited for all health professionals practicing in a remote and isolated context. The CRANAplus BLS course is designed to provide a flexible learning opportunity that will ensure best practice and is contextualised to the remote and isolated setting.
- Who is this course for?
Registered Nurses, Registered Midwives, Enrolled Nurses, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Health Workers/Practitioners, Paramedics, Ambulance Officers, Medical Officers and other remote health practitioners. It is ideally suited for health professionals practising in remote and isolated settings who require this skill set annually.
BLS is also a prerequisite for many courses, including the CRANAplus Advanced Life Support course.
- Course delivery
The BLS course consists of the following components:
- An online pre-course module that must be completed before the course
- Attendance at a face to face workshop that consists of a lecture and an individual practical skills assessment.
- On successful completion of this course, clinicians will be able to…
- Perform Basic Life Support as per Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines
- Describe the components of the adult BLS algorithm (DRSABCD)
- Describe the components of the Paediatric BLS algorithm for Health Professionals per ARC guidelines
- List the steps in using an automated external defibrillator (AED) and safety precautions
- Discuss cessation of BLS
- On successful completion participants will be awarded…
- A CRANAplus Basic Life Support (Adult, Child & Infant) certificate (valid for one year)
- Catering information
Given the remote location of many of our courses, we are sometimes restricted to Vegetarian and Gluten Free dietary options. While we always supply fresh food and fruit, particular foods may not be easily accessed in remote areas. Should you have quite specific restrictions we encourage you to bring some basics and then pick and choose from the fresh food offered on the day. You should also inform us of any allergies you may have so we can advise the caterer and be aware of the situation.
- Financial support to attend
CRANAplus Members receive a discount on face-to-face course registration and are eligible to apply for various CRANAplus professional development grants to meet the costs associated with course attendance. You can also find a list of grants and scholarships offered by external providers, such as the Health Workforce Scholarship Program, on our Pathway Incentives page.
- Additional FAQs
View the answers to other frequently asked questions about CRANAplus face-to-face courses.