This site may not work properly using older versions of Edge and Internet Explorer. You should upgrade your browser to the latest Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, or any other modern browser of your choice. Click here for more information.
Basic Life Support
The BLS program addresses CPR resuscitation of infants, children and adults. It is suited for all health professionals practicing in a remote and isolated context.
- About this course
- Are you part of a health team that requires Basic Life Support (BLS) skills?
- Would you know how to save a life when there is no breathing or response present?
- Is BLS part of your organisations annual core competence requirement?
The BLS program addresses CPR resuscitation of infants, children and adults. It is suited for all health professionals practicing in a remote and isolated context. The CRANAplus BLS course is designed to provide a flexible learning opportunity that will ensure best practice and is contextualised to the remote and isolated setting.
- Who is this course for?
Registered Nurses, Registered Midwives, Enrolled Nurses, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Health Workers/Practitioners, Paramedics, Ambulance Officers, Medical Officers and other remote health practitioners. It is ideally suited for health professionals practising in remote and isolated settings who require this skill set annually.
BLS is also a prerequisite for many courses, including the CRANAplus Advanced Life Support course.
If you have any queries about the course or its relevance to your practice, submit an enquiry here.
- Course delivery
CRANAplus Basic Life Support is offered in 2 formats:
- Assessment via online learning and assessment and an individual BLS clinical skills assessment (this can be done by a local assessor or via Skype)
- Face to face course consisting of lectures, skill stations and practical based scenarios with the theory assessment and the individual BLS clinical assessment completed on-course.
CRANAplus can also deliver BLS as a Unit of Competency HLTAID001 — Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
For a private face to face course, please contact the Business Development Officer for further information.
- On successful completion of this course, clinicians will be able to…
- Perform Basic Life Support as per Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines
- Describe the components of the BLS algorithm (DRSABCDE)
- List the steps in using an automated external defibrillator (AED) and safety precautions
- Discuss cessation of BLS
- On successful completion participants will be awarded…
- A CRANAplus Basic Life Support (Adult, Child & Infant) certificate (Valid for one year)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
All participants attending a face-to-face workshop will be required to show evidence of their COVID-19 vaccination status upon entry to the course venue. A minimum of two vaccine doses is required. However, where jurisdictions implement public health orders for three doses this will be applied.
- Catering information
Given the remote location of many of our courses, we are sometimes restricted to Vegetarian and Gluten Free dietary options. While we always supply fresh food and fruit, particular foods may not be easily accessed in remote areas. Should you have quite specific restrictions we encourage you to bring some basics and then pick and choose from the fresh food offered on the day. You should also inform us of any allergies you may have so we can advise the caterer and be aware of the situation.